I mentioned that the neighbors knew John back when he lived here through
the mid 1970's.  For the record, John bought this house brand new in 1951 and
moved in with his wife.  For reasons I don't know, or wouldn't mention if I did, in
the mid-70's John divorced and moved away.   His ex-wife lived in the house
until 2000, when my wife bought it and moved in.  The neighbors kept in touch
with his former wife.  

When I found the documents, they contacted her, and e-mailed her the
webpage you have seen with all the documents I scanned in, as well as the
story of my odd discovery.  She passed all this on to her daughter who then
contacted me with her dad's address and phone number.  Here is an edited
copy of her e-mail:

Hello -
I am John Newman's daughter, Stephanie (Newman).  Carol passed your
information on to my mom and she emailed me the link to your website.  I left my
mom's to go to my dad's yesterday and shared with
him the news of your find.  He was delighted to know that you had found these
papers.  He had actually been looking for them often in recent years and was
distressed that he couldn't locate them.  He would love for you to send them to him
and is quite willing to pay whatever the shipping costs are.

His contact info:
John R. Newman
Berlin MD  21811
He does not have computer access.

He is 85 now and DOES have Parkinson's but it is well controlled.  He's
pretty spry and stays active.  He works a couple days a week as a
ranger at a golf course.  A bum shoulder has keep him off his own game for a few
months, but he's looking forward to swinging the clubs again soon.

Thank you again for contacting the family about these papers.  It has
meant a lot to my dad to know that they haven't been lost and that he
might be able to see them again soon.

Most sincerely,

He lives just outside of Ocean City, MD.  And anyone who knows me, knows I go
to Ocean City every week. So I knew I would
have to ask the former Ensign
Newman if I could meet him in person.  

I got my nerve up to make the phone call.  It was kind of anti-climactic when the
answering machine picked up.  But he did know I would be calling, so I left the
message and just waited.  

John called back, and we just started talking about how ironic it was that I
found all these things.  I asked them where he thought he left all these things,
and he said he thought he had thrown them out!

So we made plans to meet this Saturday.  This should be very interesting...